Friday, December 5, 2008

Week 14 Reading Notes

Computers of the Clouds
I suppose I have dipped my toe into the computer cloud as I have used Google Docs for quite some time now. However, before reading/watching this week's items, I had never heard of the terms "computer cloud" and "SAAS". I was also not aware that Amazon and Google were offering use of their infrastructure. I think the advantages of this type of computing are really, really great. The fact that it can remove some of the financial burden of start-up for some businesses is really wonderful. I also think it is a boon for collaborative work. As I said, my only use so far is Google Docs, but the time and effort it has saved me at my job as well as for personal task is paramount! It made writing subject guides so much easier for my colleagues and I. And it really helped me orgaznize my graduate school application materials.

Frey's Trends Article
I could not tell from the website just when this article was written. If it was written a couple of years ago, then he was right on many accounts. Our academic library is becoming much more of a cultural center and we are encouraging a balance between that and the library as center for learning. I can personally attest to his prediction that we will be increasing pressed for time, forced to to super multi-task, and be somewhat overwhelmed by the information sent to us. I know that I sometimes want to shut my inbox and not open it again for a very, very long time. Information fatigue is starting to set in.

Muddiest Point: How do companies feel about security when using cloud computing. Do they feel better because Amazon and Google must have the money and technology to afford great security? Or do they worry because a lot more people could possibly have access to their information and security is somewhat out of their hands?

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Hey Cari,

I think your muddiest point is excellent and addresses a serious concern. Are we evolving into a kinder, more trusting, more hopeful society? I doubt it.

I was seeing access control in terms of fee structures and legislation, but if we worry about people tracking our info when its IN our hard drive sitting in the living room, what about when it's in some giant data "Warehouse" somewhere, or floating on the internet as you work with it...Businesses and individuals have a reason to be hesitant about putting too much serious info out there (but don't we always).